Memorial Park is a park situated at 6005 Underwood Avenue near the Dundee neighborhood of Omaha, Nebraska. The park was produced as a memorial for all of the men and females from Douglas County who have actually served in the armed forces.
Originally proposed by a local person in an editorial to the Omaha World-Herald, a group of businessmen and leaders, consisting of Storz Brewery owner Robert H. Storz and the Omaha Zoo name Henry Doorly satisfied to discuss a memorial. A site was selected near Omaha University, where Pleased Hollow Club and the Dundee Golf Course lay. The Memorial Park Association was developed, and in 1948 it raised funds to develop a monument in the park.
On June 5, 1948 President Harry S. Truman committed the site. In 1959 the Omaha Rose Society added a rose garden, and in 1990 Woodmen of the World added flagpoles and flags along the driveway entering into a memorial park.
A pedestrian bridge over Dodge Street called the Memorial Park Pedestrian Bridge was finished in 1968. The park was the site of numerous anti-Vietnam War demonstrations by youth activists in the late 1960s and early 1970s. At Memorial Park (https://treeserviceomahane.com), there are over 1,000 rose bushes.
Learn more about Fun-Plex Waterpark & Rides